Monday, August 5, 2013

My Imagination

Once upon a time, before having a child, I had imagined the day I would let my daughter pick out her own clothes. I wanted to instill in her a sense of self. I wanted her to be proud of how she looked and what she wore. In these elaborate imaginings, she would look unique and very "Ann Arbor." Perhaps a tutu with polka dotted socks and a striped shirt. Maybe a beret and some glitzy beads to set it off.
Then the day came when this scenario actually played out, she was really excited about these specific clothes she wanted to wear today and like most of the scenarios I had concocted in my imagination pre-baby, it turned out completely different.


It was nothing like I had pictured it to be, not even close. At first all I could do was shake my head at how different parenthood is once you're actually living it. But then I was watching her play and couldn't help but feel completely in love with this child and therefore with this outfit she created. The ensemble was something she picked out herself, it made her happy and confident and there is nothing more I could ever want for my baby girl. 

Honest Mom Moment: I sometimes get caught up on the fact that things didn't turn out how I had imagined instead of appreciating what is happening in that moment because that is how it was meant to happen based on a million other things that have lead me to that point. 

So my goal for today, even if it's just for today, is to enjoy every moment with my daughter. Especially if it's not how I imagined it.

No comments:

Post a Comment